Website Ontario Securities Commission
1 full-time post-graduation position
Start in September 2022
The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) is the statutory body responsible for regulating Ontario’s capital markets in accordance with the mandate established in the provincial Securities Act and the Commodity Futures Act. The Commission’s mandate is to provide protection to investors from unfair, improper or fraudulent practices, to foster fair, efficient and competitive capital markets and confidence in capital markets, to foster capital formation, and to contribute to the stability of the financial system and the reduction of systemic risk. This mandate is performed through policy, operational, adjudication and enforcement work. The OSC also contributes to national and global securities regulation development.
In partnership with CPA Ontario, the OSC’s Program provides Participants with the opportunity to gain valuable diverse experience in various branches of Canada’s largest securities market regulator while completing the Chartered Professional Accountants designation requirements. Our Program is unique and offers extensive accounting training to gain depth and breadth in areas such as financial reporting, audit and assurance, and strategy and governance.
Overview of the OSC’s CPA Training Office Program
1. Practical Experience Rotation (36 months) – Participants rotate through at least 3 branches of the OSC to complete the CPA practical experience requirements. A rotation includes experience with at least three of the following branches: Compliance and Registrant Regulation, Corporate Finance, the Office of the Chief Accountant and Internal Audit.
2. Multi-Branch Assignment Period (24 months) – After completion of the Practical Experience Rotation, Participants will be assigned to available opportunities in one or more branches of the OSC to continue to grow and develop their competencies and experience.
Upon completion of the Multi-Branch Assignment Period, or earlier as needed, a Participant will be placed into a permanent position in a branch of the OSC.
What’s in it for you?
We offer competitive compensation and a Program that focuses on you successfully completing your CPA training and competency requirements. Our Program includes enrolment in a preparation program to prepare you for the Common Final Exam. We will also provide strong mentoring by one or more of our CPAs on staff as you take on increasing responsibility and accountability over the duration of the Program.
What type of work will you do?
· Conduct operational audits of dealers, investment fund managers and advisers
· Complete continuous disclosure reviews for public companies and registrants that report in accordance with IFRS and U.S. GAAP
· Advise on the application of new and/or complex accounting standards
· Assist in developing, and assessing application of, regulatory rules and policies related to accounting and auditing
· Participate in development and delivery of technical accounting training
· Participate in reviewing and assessing the OSC’s internal controls
You offer the following:
• Completion of a university degree and any needed CPA Professional Education Program (PEP) modules if your university program is accredited to deliver only part of the CPA PEP prior to September 2022
• Intention of writing the Common Final Exam in September 2023 (or earlier)
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple demands on time
• Strong communication skills to seek out additional information and adapt style to suit audience/client
• Ability to build and foster strong relationships
• Demonstrated initiative and willingness to learn
• Ability to adapt to changing work environments
1. A cover letter stating your interest in working for the OSC, also including the file number and position title;
2. A resume; and
3. A copy of your undergraduate and, if applicable, accounting post-graduate transcripts.
Reference letters are also welcome.
Grow your career and make a difference working at the OSC!
Please attach the above documents in one PDF document, with the naming convention “Last Name, First Name, File 21-80”. Please submit your application for this position through the Careers at the OSC site (https://www.osc.ca/en/about-us/careers-osc). Applications must be received by Friday, October 22, 2021 at 11:59 pm EST.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the Ontario Securities Commission. We will contact those selected for an interview.
The OSC is committed to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace. It is our priority to ensure employment opportunities are visible and barrier-free to all under-represented groups, including, but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ2S community, to achieve an employee demographic profile reflective of the demographic profile of Ontarians.
The OSC is a proud partner with the following organizations: BlackNorth Initiative < https://blacknorth.ca/ >, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion < https://ccdi.ca/ >, and Pride at Work Canada < https://prideatwork.ca/ >.
If you require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting our confidential inbox HRRecruitment@osc.gov.on.ca. Visit Accessibility at the OSC < https://www.osc.ca/en/accessibility-osc >to review the OSC’s policies on accessibility and accommodation in the workplace.
To apply for this job please visit www.osc.ca.