Ontario Securities Commission
13-month contract (December 2021 – January 2023)
Who We Are
The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) is the statutory body responsible for regulating Ontario’s capital markets in accordance with the mandate established in the provincial Securities Act and the Commodity Futures Act. The mandate of the OSC is to provide protection to investors from unfair, improper or fraudulent practices, to foster fair, efficient and competitive capital markets and confidence in the capital markets, to foster capital formation, and to contribute to the stability of the financial system and the reduction of systemic risk. This mandate is performed through policy, operational, adjudication and enforcement work. The OSC also contributes to national and global securities regulation development.
What We Do
The Investor Office is a regulatory branch that sets the strategic direction and leads the OSC’s efforts in investor engagement, education, outreach and research. The Office develops investor policy; plays a key role in the oversight of the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments; and provides leadership at the OSC in the area of behavioural insights and improving the investor experience.
Reporting to the Manager, Investor Engagement and Outreach, the Investor Engagement Specialist is dedicated to advancing our education, research, outreach and policy work to support investors. The successful candidate is excited about, and engaged in, the subject of investing and personal finance. This role requires a team player who can contribute to the development of effective public-facing initiatives, from web updates to social media to (eventually) in-person outreach events.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
· Contribute to the development of innovative and effective investor education, outreach and engagement content and delivery methods. This will include participation in all OSC investor education channels, including:
o GetSmarterAboutMoney.ca, one of Canada’s most popular financial education websites.
o Educational microsites such as InvestingFundamentals.ca and InvestingIntroduction.ca.
o Question & answer website InvestingQuestions.ca.
o Investor News newsletter.
o Investor social media, including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
o Investor advertising and social media promoted posts.
o Presentations and speeches for stakeholder and community audiences.
· Work closely with staff on all three teams in the Investor Office (Education and Outreach, Policy and Regulatory Initiatives, and Research and Behavioural Insights) to conceive, and help execute, new, creative and meaningful ways of engaging with investors.
· Develop an approach for regularized review of online content to ensure accurate, accessible, refreshed content.
· Support research projects, including procurement, vendor relations, and dissemination of results, to ensure maximum impact and reach.
· Engage with stakeholders, including investors and consumers, financial education providers, community groups, financial services representatives, regulators and others.
· Support the expansion of outreach and education efforts to new groups and organizations.
· Regularly identify new opportunities for social media engagement, proactively finding opportunities for investor education messages in conversations.
· Support the GetSmarterAboutMoney.ca project procurement process administration.
Qualifications for Success
• Expertise gained from 5-7 years of relevant experience and a post-secondary education (diploma, certificate, degree) in media, administration, communications, business or another relevant discipline.
• An understanding of records management, and how information is organized for easy identification and retrieval.
• Detail orientation, with strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to multitask while working with external vendors on web and outreach projects.
• Be intrinsically motivated and able to work proficiently, both independently and in a team environment.
• Strong work ethic and organizational skills to meet tight deadlines.
• Knowledge of financial concepts and the securities industry.
• Ability to apply user experience (UX) design principles and practices, and a clear understanding of web and usability standards.
• Knowledge of SEO and accessibility best practices.
• Proficiency with MS Office, Photoshop, WordPress and basic HTML.
• French or other language skills are an asset.
Grow your career and make a difference working at the OSC!
Apply online (https://www.osc.ca/en/about-us/careers-osc) by Monday, November 8, 2021.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the Ontario Securities Commission. We will contact those selected for an interview.
The OSC is committed to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace. It is our priority to ensure employment opportunities are visible and barrier-free to all under-represented groups, including, but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ2S community, to achieve an employee demographic profile reflective of the demographic profile of Ontarians.
The OSC is a proud partner with the following organizations: BlackNorth Initiative < https://blacknorth.ca/ >, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion < https://ccdi.ca/ >, and Pride at Work Canada < https://prideatwork.ca/ >.
If you require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting our confidential inbox HRRecruitment@osc.gov.on.ca.
Visit Accessibility at the OSC < https://www.osc.ca/en/accessibility-osc >to review the OSC’s policies on accessibility and accommodation in the workplace.
To apply for this job please visit www.osc.ca.